BEFORE YOUR VASECTOMY
By properly preparing for your No Needle, No Scalpel Vasectomy, you can help us to provide you with a safe, smooth and worry-free experience.
1. Please read all of the 'FAQ's' and 'About Vasectomy' so that you understand what will take place. If you still have questions, write them down to ask the doctor when you visit.
2. Be sure that you have carefully considered and discussed with your partner that vasectomy is a permanent form of birth control.
3. If you are taking a blood thinner, such as Aspirin® (ASA), Coumadin® (warfarin), Plavix® (clopidogrel) or other blood thinners, or you are taking anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil® (ibuprofen) or other anti-inflammatory medications, these must be stopped 7 days before the procedure. Since some of these medications are prescribed by your doctor, you must check with your doctor whether it is safe to stop the medications for this period of time. You may restart them 2 days following the procedure.
4. The night before your procedure, please shave or clip the entire front of your scrotum carefully (clipping is preferable if you own a clipper). We ask that you do this the night before because the disinfecting solution we use on the skin can cause minor stinging if the skin is shaved immediately before the procedure.
DO NOT USE CHEMICAL DEPILATORY AGENTS - ie HAIR DISSOLVING CREAMS - ON YOUR SCROTUM!
5. Shower as you normally would on the morning of the procedure to clean the area. Do not use any creams, powders, scented products or sprays on the area.
6. There is no need to fast prior to vasectomy. Eat as you would do normally.
7. Please purchase an athletic support, and wear this when you come for your procedure. This will support your scrotum after vasectomy and minimize discomfort. A rigid cup is not required. Supports can be purchased at athletic supply stores and pharmacies, but call in advance to make sure they have stock as not all stores carry this product.
8. When you arrive for your procedure, please ensure that you have acetaminophen (Tylenol®) with you.
9. Please arrive at the Toronto Vasectomy Clinic at least 20 minutes prior to your appointment, to allow time for parking and to register. Rushing to be on time will make it hard for you to relax, which is key to a smooth and worry-free experience.
10. We will ask you to spend a short time with us after your procedure so that we can ensure that you are comfortable and feeling well.
11. Plan your way home! Arrange a ride home if you can. We do not use any sedating medications so you may legally drive yourself, however we STRONGLY advise that you arrange a ride, as some men may feel faint a little while after their procedure. Alternatively, you could take a taxi or public transit.